Head of Library (Max Planck Institute Luxembourg for Procedural Law - Luxembourg)
Vacature online sinds 08/02/2022
The Max Planck Institute Luxembourg for Procedural Law is an Institute of the Max Planck Society. The MPI Luxembourg conducts research in the areas of European law of civil procedure, international litigation and arbitration and dispute resolution in the financial markets.
The successful candidate will be responsible for the strategic and operational management of the library. Develop a specialized law collection reflecting the Institute Departments’ and groups research focus. Guarantee availability of services to the users and establish regulations, and workflows to achieve a sustainable balance of quantity and quality of work.
Reporting directly to the Management Board, the Head of Library will have the responsibility and the authority to, including but not exclusively:
- Conceptual planning and implementation of innovative library and information services, taking into account current developments oriented towards the needs of the Institute’s researchers;
- Manage the day-to-day of the library and its team and ensuring its sustainable development;
- Manage budgets and working accurately with numerical and financial data, including experience of working with collections and licenses within a legal framework;
- Build a comprehensive library collection, tailored to the research focus of the MPI;
- Develop, maintain quality control of library services;
- Introduce technology to automate and improve library processes;
- Implement procedures to guarantee transparency and ensuring compliance with rules;
- Establish and strengthen cooperations with other institutions, national and international;
- Provide recommendation and assistance regarding information management of the Institute;
- Negotiate and manage the subscriptions to online databases as well as selection of print and electronic resources and publications;
- Promote and develop the library’s resources to users;
- Develop and maintain professional relationships with internal and external users;
- Control indexing and cataloguing quality.
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in Law and/or library studies;
- 10 years of relevant professional experience in a similar position with demonstrable success;
- Understand the research lifecycle and the requirements of support and structures required for the effective management of research data;
- Have a thorough knowledge of current trends in research processes, communications and the academic publishing and content provider landscape in Luxembourg and abroad;
- Think strategically and innovatively, leading and motivating others to meet Library & MPI priorities and to deliver Institute’s objectives;
- Thorough knowledge of library standards, methods and principles of functioning;
- Display a global view and rich experience in law libraries including all processes, services and systems necessary;
- Excellent computer skills, proficient in Microsoft Office;
- Fluent English, proficient in French and/or German;
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
The MPI Luxembourg offers an interesting working environment within an international team of researchers in the heart of Europe
Salary and social benefits according to the Luxembourgish legal requirements
The Max Planck Institute Luxembourg is an equal opportunity employer.